If there is a day worth celebrating it has got to be World Nutella Day! Nutella first hit the market in Italy in 1964 and now the the product has become a pantry mainstay all over the world. World Nutella Day began in 2007 when American Nutella enthusiast and blogger, Sara Rosso, asked fellow lovers of the delicious hazelnut, chocolate spread to share how they used Nutella. Well Sarah, here’s how we use Nutella in Perth to combat the rising February heat. I hope you all enjoy this quick and easy recipe for Nutella Nicecream Sandwiches, drizzled with chocolate and hazelnuts.
- Peel and slice your bananas into 3cm slices for easier blending, then place on a baking paper lined baking sheet and freeze until firm (3-4 hours or overnight).
- Add sliced frozen bananas and Nutella to a food processor fitted with an “S” blade.
- Then blend for 4-5 minutes or until completely smooth, fluffy, and blended. You’ll need to stop occasionally to stir and scrape the sides.
- Keep blending until you’re left with a soft serve texture and the Nutella has been evenly distributed through the banana.
- Alternatively you could use a high speed blender and, following directions for your blender brand, blend the banana Nutella mix in two batches.
- At this point you have soft-serve texture banana, Nutella ice cream.
- Spread your mixture evenly into a lined baking tray approx 15cm x 27cm to fit 9 wafers, make sure the top is flat and freeze for 2-3 hours.
- Just before you remove the Nicecream from the freezer, melt your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl, heating in 30 second increments in the microwave until melted, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove your frozen Nutela Nicecream from the freezer and from the baking tray onto a chopping board.
- Lay out 9 wafers across the slab of nice cream as they best fit and slice around each one before turning over the Nicecream sandwiches and finishing with a wafer on the other side.
- Drizzle one end of one side of each Nutella Nicecream Sandwich with melted chocolate then sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts and return to the freezer to set before enjoying OR wrapping and storing in the freezer for up to a month. (As if they will last the day!)
- For the best outcome use ripe and spotty bananas.