Turn up the heat and get set for success by shopping at Galleria Morley for this Valentine’s Day. There is nothing more delightful than someone going all out and cooking you a special meal at home, except if they have really stepped it up by preparing a gorgeous table for two and making sure the atmosphere is set to romance. I had a great time sourcing affordable pieces from Target, Kmart and Myer to dress this table as well as ingredients from Galleria Morley’s fresh food offering to create an impressive meal you can spoil your special someone with. Take the time and DIY Valentine’s Day this year.
Marinade Ingredients from Woolworths
- 30g brown sugar
- 40ml rice wine vinegar
- 40g chilli sambal
- 20ml fish sauce
- 15ml lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 2 Mount Barker free range chicken breast
Pineapple Salad Ingredients from Morley Fresh
- ½ small pineapple, peeled, cored, quartered and sliced into 1.5cm wedges
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced into rings
- ½ green chili, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, stalks reserved for dressing*
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, torn
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
Dressing Ingredients from Woolworths
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or peanut oil)
- 1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp ginger, finely minced
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- Pinch of coarse sea salt
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- *reserved coriander stalks, finely diced
- 1/4 cup roasted salted peanuts
- Place the marinade ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken breast to the bowl and roll through the marinade to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 215°C fan forced.
- Place the marinated chicken on a baking tray, pour over remaining marinade and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until the marinade is caramelizing and the chicken is cooked through.
- In the meantime, toss all salad ingredients gently in a bowl and set aside in the fridge.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid shake to combine and set aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked, slice it into strips crossways and place on your share platter.
- Finish with the pineapple salad scattered across the chicken, dress just before serving and garnish with peanuts.
Sharing a platter of food feels quite intimate and is perfect for a romantic evening.
If you would like to go step further, you can grill your pineapple before cooling and adding to the salad.
You don’t need to spend a fortune to create a welcoming table setting. I was able to snap up some bargains to produce this Valentine's setting. The devil is in the details as they say. Adding a cloth napkin always elevates a table and the Lindt balls scream special occasion.
- Cotton tablecloth and napkins in clay - Kmart
- Nara Speckled main and side plates - Target
- Bond gold rimmed glasses - Kmart
- Gift wrapping and card - Myer
- Lindt Balls - Woolworths
- Heritage serving spoons - Myer
- Mastercraft red pepper mill - Myer
- Shimmy Platter 30cm – Salt and Pepper - Myer
- Pillar candle - Kmart
- LOVE necklace - Kmart
We’ve teamed up with food ambassador Kate Flower to bring you fresh food inspiration. Kate’s local take on this season’s produce ensures you are always eating fresh, local food. For more food ideas and recipes that taste and look fantastic, click here.