By Kate Flower
Winter in Perth is glorious. I love to rug up and settle in on a rainy day with a book or a Netflix series, when I’m not standing courtside in the rain watching kids sport that is!
With winter comes flu season so I thought I’d share three really simple ways to keep the bugs at bay by increasing your Vitamin C intake. The most effective way to keep the vitamin intake balanced is through your diet, so try some of the ideas I’ve shared and stay well through winter.
- Broccolini with Garlic and Pine Nuts
6 stalks of Broccoli will give you 130 per cent of your daily Vitamin C requirements.
- Red Capsicum and Snowpea Dippers
These two veggies are super high in Vitamin C so add them to your daily intake if you’re looking for a hit.
- Kakadu Plum Smoothie
Kakadu plum is a native Australian fruit and boasts the highest Vitamin C of any fruit in the world.
Broccolini with Garlic and Pine Nuts
Serves 2 as a side dish
- Wash and trim the end of your broccolini (about 2cm)
- Heat oil in a fry pan over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and allow the flavour to infuse in the oil for about 30 seconds.
- Add the broccolini and ¼ cup of water then pop on a tight fitting lid.
- Allow the broccolini to steam for 1 minute before turning and repeating the cook time on the other side with the lid on.
- Remove to a plate, sprinkle with pine nuts and drizzle with any pan juices and garlic.
Red Capsicum and Snow Pea Dippers
Serves four as a snack
- 1 medium red capsicum, washed and sliced into 2cm wide strips, lengthways.- Morley Fresh
- 20 snow peas, washed and stalks trimmed - Morley Fresh
- 1 x 250g shop bought dip of your choice - Woolworths or Coles
- Place all ingredients on a plate and serve up to the kids or yourself with the dip to grab a vitamin C hit.
Kakadu Plum and Strawberry Smoothie
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until fruit is broken down and it’s completely smooth, adding more liquid as desired to reach your desired consistency.
- Pour into serving glasses and enjoy!
I picked up both the glasses and plates in these images from Galleria Shopping Centre and they have been in high rotation ever since in my kitchen and in photo shoots. I highly recommend them both. I love the pastel pop of the plates and the glasses are a generous size and have a really classic shape that makes them great to use for a dinner party as water glasses or to serve up a smoothie.
Smoothie glass - Positano from Kmart
Broccolini & Dippers plates - Maxwell Williams Tint from Myer
We’ve teamed up with food ambassador Kate Flower to bring you fresh food inspiration. Kate’s local take on this season’s produce ensures you are always eating fresh, local food. For more food ideas and recipes that taste and look fantastic, click here.